Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Fox & Roach, REALTORS®
610-527-6400
JENN HOEPER215-804-5302

History

StoneSchool Plaque in Lobby
This plaque remains in the main lobby of the school building.

The History of the School

STONESCHOOL is situated on land that was part of Frederick Muhlenberg’s farm. By 1938, this land was owned by Ursinus College, which sold it to the newly formed Collegeville–Trappe Joint School District for $100.

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt created a package of programs that provided relief for citizens who lost jobs during the Great Depression. These programs resulted in construction of a large number of public works projects, including the Pennsylvania Turnpike (the nation's first limited access superhighway) and a new school for the Collegeville-Trappe Joint School District on First Avenue in the Borough of Trappe. The school was designed by Architect W. Marshall Hughes in the colonial revival style. Groundbreaking for the new school was on November 11, 1938. It was built by Warren B. Zern, a well-known contractor from Pottstown. An Historic Resources Inventory prepared in 2010 for Trappe Borough noted the school’s “historic and architectural significance.”

The History of Trappe Borough

Trappe Sign

STONESCHOOL is located in the Borough of Trappe, Pennsylvania. Trappe is situated just west of Collegeville and was settled in 1717 and formally incorporated in 1896. Many historic structures are located in Trappe, including Augustus Lutheran Church, the oldest unchanged Lutheran Church building in continuous use in the United States; the homestead of Frederick Muhlenberg, signer of the Bill of Rights and first Speaker of the United States House of Representatives; and the Henry Muhlenberg house, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and owned by the Historical Society of Trappe.

Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, founder of the Lutheran Church and Trappe resident, made the following entry in his journal:

November 13, 1780 - Christian Schrack, who was buried yesterday was a son of John Jacob Schrack, who came to this country in 1717 . . . They built a cabin and a cave in which they cooked. They kept a small shop in a small way and a tavern with beer with and such things. As once an English inhabitant, who had been drinking in the cave, fell asleep, and came home late, and was in consequence scolded by his wife, he excused himself by saying he had been at the Trap. From that time this neighborhood is called Trapp, and is known as such in all America.”

CONTACT US

Would You Like More Information?






* denotes required field

STONESCHOOL

"Where Luxury Meets History"